Pick yourself up. Dust yourself off. And start all over again....

Housework is the bane of my life.  My husband and I have more arguments about the state of the house than anything else.  He, I believe, would like to live in a show home.  I point out we have three kids and two dogs and with all the will in the world, show homes are bland, Stepfordesque ideals.

I am not a natural housewife.  I struggle.  I find better things to do.  My house is clean, it's just a bit muddly.  Lived in.  Has personality.  

I should be:
  • clearing the washing basket daily
  • hoovering with aplomb
  • joyously flicking my micro fleece duster around the lounge
  • not nurturing sneaky cobwebs
  • replenishing the pot pourri at regular intervals
  • successful in my removal of weetabix from every kitchen surface
  • hoovering the light shades
  • wiping the skirting boards

I am not.

I am ignoring the best of it, dealing with the worst of it and all the time thinking....What would Nigella do?

Drink a large glass of wine and cook something delicious, I reckon.

I'll do that then.  Much better option.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, but my OH is like yours. Think the fact that he has a mum who's a proper traditional farmers wife, who's always had bed & breakfast so has an immaculate house (until my son plays or eats there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my MiL is in the W.I. and Husband has been known to utter:

    'A place for everything and everything in its place' at which point I berated him for being just like his mother and sounding like an 80 year old woman. (same thing actually).

    Didn't go down well...the truth hurts!

    ReplyDelete